Car accidents are a common occurrence in America and New York is home to numerous car accidents due a high population of drivers. Reports and data show that nearly 19,000 accidents in New York occur per month, which equals nearly 670 accidents every single day.
Accidents are often a result of someone else’s negligence. A motor vehicle collision can cause serious, long lasting, traumatic injuries. Often these injuries lead to numerous challenges including pain, surgeries and medical treatments, high medical bills and other financial liabilities. These challenges can cause great stress and trauma to the victim and their family. In such a case, the victim should be paid the compensation they deserve. A motor vehicle accident law firm can help you through the process to fight for your rights and get the compensation your need and deserve.
Once you hire a car accident lawyer, the first thing is to gather the evidence required to file the claim. Evidence is fundamental to your claim as it is used to prove the negligence of the driver who caused the accident. In cases of car accidents, evidence becomes even more important due to sheer number of claims. Such high number of car accidents indicates high number of claims, and supporting your case with comprehensive evidence will not only make your claim stronger, but it will also make the process faster. The best car accident lawyers in New York will help you acquire the necessary evidence you need before proceeding with your claim.
What counts as relevant evidence?
Even the best car accident attorney is going to need strong evidence to get you the compensation you deserve for all of your physical and mental injuries caused by the accident. In a car accident, some evidence can help more than others. Here’s what you should keep in mind while collecting evidence after a car accident:
- Witness testimony – A testimony from someone who saw the accident can become one of the strongest pieces of evidence. While it may be difficult to talk to a witness right after the accident, it is best to get the contact information of anyone who was physically present and reach out to them along with the lawyer. A car accident plaintiff lawyer will know the best way to talk to a witness, as they know the relevant information needed for your case.
- Photos – Photographic evidence can play a pivotal role in your accident claim. It is best to click as many photos as possible right after the accident. The photos should ideally capture the:
- Internal and external damage caused to the vehicle
- Exact spot where the accident occurred
- Injuries sustained
- Damage caused to anything else around, for instance, if the car also hit a pillar or a post.
- Debris or skid marks
- Weather conditions
- Physical position of both the vehicles after the accident
- Signage, Traffic Lights and images of the intersection or location of the accident
- Camera footage – The most helpful evidence in a car accident case is video footage. This could either be from a CCTV installed on the road at the location where the accident occurred or if it was captured by a pedestrian’s smartphone. Be alert and look for cameras around, for instance, if there was a restaurant, hotel, or a store nearby, check to see if there is a camera installed at its entrance. If you think there might be a video, get in touch with your car accident lawyer and seek their help to get the video footage.
While the above stated evidence is to show the negligence of the at-fault driver, it is also important gather documentation and evidence related to you. This could include:
- Police Report
- Insurance documents of the other driver
- Medical records supporting the injuries you have sustained
- Medical bills for treatment of your injuries
- Documentation or proof of loss or income
- Any other expense you incurred due to this accident, for example, paying for bus or train fare as your car was damaged due to the accident
Relevant evidence will form the basis of your claim and will heavily support the value of your case. If you have been injured in a car accident Get in touch with a car accident attorney today.
If you or someone you know has been injured in car accident and you need a winning law firm, contact Siler &Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced car accident lawyers. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.
The Impact Of Marijuana Legalization
Would New York legalizing recreational marijuana increase road accidents? We took a look at the stats in our latest study.View Study
The Law Office of Siler & Ingber, LLP
301 Mineola Blvd. Mineola, NY 11501
Subscribe to our NewsletterSubscribe
This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work!
Please upgrade today!