New York Car Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you deserve to get the compensation for your medical recovery, mental trauma, and pain & suffering. Get the compensation by working with a New York car accident lawyer. The attorneys at Siler & Ingber, LLP offer free case evaluations for any victim that has sustained injuries in a car accident.
As per reports, there were 228,047 reported motor vehicle accidents in New York City in 2018. That means more than 600 accidents every day! Moreover, accidents occur across all five Burroughs but Queens has emerged to be the most dangerous as it accounts for 29 percent of all accidents in New York.
Common causes of car accidents in New York
Some of the most common causes of car accidents in New York are as follows:
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
Laws which govern car accidents in New York
- New York is a no-fault car insurance state. It means that you, as the injured party, need to need to file a claim to get compensation even if you did not cause the crash. Only if your injury claim meets the criteria, you can go outside of no-fault and bring a claim directly against the driver who caused the accident.
- Statute of limitations. A “statute of limitations” is a law that sets a time limit to file the lawsuit. If you miss the deadline, your case will most likely be dismissed, unless there is a rare exception.In New York, in most cases of a car accident, you have three years, from the date of the crash.
- Comparative negligence. Comparative negligence comes into play when the injured party is partly at fault for the accidentNew York follows “pure comparative fault” rule when both parties are at fault. Under the pure comparative fault rule, the plaintiff’s damages award is reduced by a certain share which equal to their share of fault.The comparative fault rule in New York applies even if you are found to be more responsible for the accident than the other driver. Thisrule binds New York judges and juries, it also plays a role in car insurance claims adjuster during evaluation.
Steps to stay safe
The responsibility to drive safe lies on you. Making sure you always have the seat belt on, do not indulge in drunk driving, ensure that you’re fully alert while driving, do not text or talk on the phone while driving can make you less vulnerable to an accident.
However, at the same time, you cannot control how someone else on the road is driving! This could make you vulnerable to an accident due to someone else’s negligence. Unfortunately, car accidents can lead to major injuries, which may require short- or long-term treatment. In some cases, they may even be fatal. Essentially, a car accident can cause a major disruption in your life and put everything at risk.
The nest step after a car accident
If you’ve been in an accident due to someone’s negligence, then the at-fault’s party’s insurer might give you an initial settlement offer. In most cases, this settlement offer will be grossly inadequate to compensate for the injuries, and other expenses you may incur immediately and in the long run. Remember, insurers are for-profit agencies and they will always favor a low settlement.
Getting thecompensation, you deserve
It’s simple! Hirea car accident lawyer and let them take care of it. A car accident lawyer at Siler and Ingber will understand your long-term needs and the money necessary for your care. When valuing your accident claim, we will make sure that the compensation covers all the financial expenses and the damage done to your quality of life. A few such components which should be included in your settlement are:
- Current and future medical bills for medical treatment
- Car repair or replacement costs
- Physical or emotional therapy
- Lost wages and income
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and disfigurement
- Lost enjoyment of life
Ask what’s on your mind
It is important that you trust the car accident attorney. Feel free to ask them any questions. Some of the frequently asked questions are:
- What evidence is required to prove negligence?
- What is the worth of the claim?
- Is there a viable case?
Contact a New York Car Accident Attorney at Siler and Ingber today!
While the days and weeks after a car accident can be overwhelming, there is hope. Contact a New York car accident lawyer with Siler & Ingber, LLP today and begin the process of getting the compensation you deserve. Call 1-516-294-2666, or use the online contact form on this page to schedule a free consultation.
[fc id=’8′ type=’popup’ button_color=’#4488ee’ font_color=’white’]Schedule A Free Consultation[/fc]