New York Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident, you deserve to get the compensation for your medical recovery, mental trauma, and pain & suffering. Get the compensation by working with a New York pedestrian accident attorney. The attorneys at Siler & Ingber, LLP offer free case evaluations for any victim that has sustained injuries in a car accident.
With its ever-increasing vehicular traffic, New York has become one of the country’s most risky cities for pedestrians. The numbers also draw a grim picture. In 2020, 96 pedestrians in New York died in an accident, slightly lower in 2019 when 113 pedestrians succumbed to their injuries. Needless to say, those who sustain injuries, have a difficult time getting over the injuries physically, mentally, and financially.
Common causes of pedestrian accidents
Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents in New York are as follows:
- Drunk driving by the at-fault driver
- Distracted driving (talking on phone, texting) by the at-fault driver
- Slip and fall (icy sidewalk, construction work, etc.)
- Speeding / reckless driving by the at-fault driver
Legal and safety provisions in cases of pedestrian accidents
Some rules which should be followed by drivers are:
- Drivers cannot pass vehicles at crosswalks so that pedestrians may cross.
- Drivers should be careful to avoid accidents with pedestrians.
- Drivers should allow pedestrians when the “walk” sign is flashing.
- Drivers should allow pedestrians when the “walk” sign changes to a flashing hand or other symbol.
New York also has laws which protect pedestrians, here they are:
- New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law – This is the state’s official vehicle and traffic laws. If a pedestrian is injured by someone who was driving who violates this law, they will often be found negligent in a civil suit.
- Elle’s Law: Any driver who violates any traffic rules and ends up injuring an individual gets their license suspended for six months. If they have another incident that violates Elle’s Law within a five-year period, their license is suspended for one year.
- Hayley and Diego’s Law – This law penalizes a motorist when they fail to exercise care in operating a vehicle and injure a pedestrian or bicyclist as a result. The first offense attracts either a $750 fine, or 15 days in jail, or undertaking a driving training course. On second offense, the driver is charged with a misdemeanour.
If you’ve suffered an injury in a pedestrian accident
If you’ve been in a pedestrian accident due to negligent driving, then the you’re entitled to a compensation. In most cases, the insurance company will try to offer you a settlement inadequate to cover the short- and long-term costs. Hire a pedestrian accident attorney to get the compensation you deserve. A comprehensive review of the accident helps figure out who is the one the fault. This review, undertaken best by a pedestrian accident attorney, could include irresponsible driving behavior which could be drunk driving, texting while driving, running red lights, reckless driving in parking areas etc. among others. This will be the first step to move towards filing a claim.
Getting the compensation, you deserve
It’s simple! Hire a pedestrian accident attorney and let them take care of it. A pedestrian accident attorney at Siler and Ingber will understand your long-term needs and the money necessary for your care. When valuing your claim, we will make sure that the compensation covers all the financial expenses and the damage done to your quality of life. A few such components which should be included in your settlement are:
- Current and future medical bills for medical treatment
- Physical or emotional therapy
- Lost wages and income
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and disfigurement
- Lost enjoyment of life
Hire the best pedestrian accident attorney at Siler & Ingber
Contact the top New York Pedestrian Accident Attorneys at Siler and Ingber today! Call 1-516-294-2666, or use the online contact form on this page to schedule a free consultation.
[fc id=’8′ type=’popup’ button_color=’#4488ee’ font_color=’white’]Schedule A Free Consultation[/fc]