Long Island Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
It’s not easy to recover physically, emotionally, and financially after enduring serious injuries when having the right of way within a crosswalk, but a Long Island pedestrian accident lawyer can help you recover the compensation you deserve from the at-fault driver and their insurance company via an accident case.
In many ways, there must be an unspoken trust between motorists and pedestrians, and that trust extends far beyond concrete jungles of Brooklyn and NYC. Drivers with the protections of a vehicle are expected to be mindful of those on foot and yield to them when it’s appropriate, but this still doesn’t stop most of the common causes of pedestrian accidents from occurring.
When motorists violate this unspoken trust, the results can be disastrous for the pedestrian. An accident between a car and a person on foot can cause particularly devastating injuries —often fatal. If you’ve been hit by a negligent driver, it can be difficult to know how to go about getting compensated fully and fairly.
A personal injury settlement can go a long way toward easing the financial burden of your recovery and restoring a small portion of your piece of mind. A Long Island pedestrian accident attorney with the law firm of Siler & Ingber, LLP will work to get you the full compensation you deserve for you or your loved one’s medical care, lost wages, and any given losses both economic and non-economic that injured pedestrians may suffer.
Contact our legal team today for a free consultation so we can review the details of your pedestrian accident and provide the legal advice you need to hold the negligent motor vehicle operator accountable for your medical expenses and other damages.
Determining Fault in Pedestrian-Car Accidents
- Running red lights
- Not yielding the right of way to pedestrians in crosswalks
- Distracted driving/Texting or using a cell phone while driving
- Reckless driving through parking lots
- Drunk driving
- Illegal parking that obscures vision of pedestrians
New York Pedestrian Traffic Laws and Your Claim
- Drivers are not permitted to pass vehicles at crosswalks so that pedestrians may cross.
- Drivers must exercise due care to avoid accidents with pedestrians.
- Drivers are to yield to pedestrians when the “walk” sign is flashing.
- Drivers are to yield to pedestrians when the “walk” sign changes to a flashing hand or other symbol.
New York Laws That Protect Pedestrians
- A $750 fine, or
- 15 days in jail, or
- Completion of a driving training course
Evaluating Your Pedestrian Accident Claim’s Value
- Current and future medical bills
- Lost wages and future income
- Transportation expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
Pedestrian Accident Lawsuits and Settlements
When a pedestrian is injured by a moving vehicle, he or she may file a personal injury claim for any losses or damages. Pedestrian accident lawsuits and settlement amounts range widely most often the result of the extensiveness of the damage. A car to pedestrian accident can create life-threatening consequences and long-term medical rehabilitation needs.
Key Factors in Determining Lawsuit and Settlements in Pedestrian Accidents
- The extensiveness of injuries, including immediate and long-term care needs
- The amount of treatment needed for rehabilitation, such as chiropractic care, acupuncturists, and other non-medical providers
- The length of time a person is unable to work, leading to lost income
- The amount of impact the accident has on a person’s daily life as well as his or her life with others, such as settlements for pain and suffering
- Losses that cannot be recovered, such as an inability to return to work or the loss of use of a limb, and the impact this has on a person’s future
- The prospect that a person will be able to go back to some work at some point in their future
Contact a Long Island Pedestrian-Car Accident Lawyer
While the results of your accident cannot be changed, Siler & Ingber, LLP will work hard to get the compensation you deserve and help you on the road to recovering to the fullest extent possible.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, call us today at 1-516-294-2666 or contact us via our online form on this page to schedule a free consultation and case evaluation with a Long Island personal injury lawyer. There’s no obligation involved, so you can feel completely free to explore your options.
Long Island Pedestrian Accident Statistics
- In New York, there were 1,098 deaths and 136,913 emergency room visits related to car accidents.
- Of those, 312 deaths were pedestrians struck by a motor vehicle.
- Using these figures, two pedestrian deaths per 100,000 New Yorkers are the result of a motor vehicle accident.