Who Will Pay My Medical Bills After an Accident?

Who Will Pay My Medical Bills After an Accident?

When you’ve been involved in an accident, the primary expenses you’re likely to face will be medical bills. Especially in the case of a serious injury, you will likely wonder who should pay your medical bills after your accident. The answer depends on a few factors.

Who Pays Medical Bills for a Car Accident?

If you were involved in a vehicle wreck that left you with injuries requiring medical attention, there are a few ways your medical bills could be paid.

No-Fault Insurance

In New York, all drivers are required to carry no-fault insurance. This insurance covers you in the event of an accident, regardless of who was at fault. It should pay for your accident-related medical costs, up to certain limits.

If your injuries exceed these limits, your health insurance may kick in for some of your medical expenses, but you would be responsible for the rest.

Personal Injury Claims

If your car accident was very serious, leaving you with permanent or debilitating injuries, you could take your case out of the no-fault system and sue the person who caused your crash. However, you may still need to pay your medical bills yourself until you’ve recovered compensation from the personal injury claim.

Personal Injury Claims for Other Accident Types

When you’ve been injured in a non-vehicle accident, you can sue the party responsible if negligence was involved. The following are some examples of accidents for which you could recover compensation:

  • Construction accidents
  • Premises liability cases
  • Product liability cases
  • Medical malpractice
  • Some workplace injuries

Compensation for Medical Bills and Other Damages

When you’ve been injured in one of the above accidents, your medical expenses can be added to your personal injury claim. In addition to medical expenses, you can also request compensation for the following damages:

  • Property damage
  • Pain and suffering
  • Missed wages and future missed wages
  • Mental trauma related to the accident
  • Disfigurement and scarring

Get in Touch with a Personal Injury Attorney

Hopefully, you now have a better understanding of who will pay your medical bills after an accident. If you’ve been injured, you could be eligible to file a personal injury claim against the responsible party.

To find out whether your case qualifies, schedule a free consultation with an attorney from Siler & Ingber, LLP. Give us a call at 1-516-294-2666 or complete the form below.

Let's Get Started.

We’re ready to fight for you. We’re ready to be your ally. And we’re ready to start right now. Don’t waste time, contact our law offices today.
Serious injuries don’t happen on a 9-to-5 schedule, which is why we are always available to help if you have been hurt. Our team is available around the clock to provide the support you need.

    Do I Have A Case

      Skip to content