Long Island Bicycle Accident Lawyer
As an accident victim in the state of New York who’s been involved in a bicycle crash with a motor vehicle, you deserve to be compensated for your serious injuries by the at-fault driver and/or their insurance company. Find out how to proceed with your accident case by contacting our law firm for a free consultation to begin obtaining legal advice from an experienced Long Island bicycle accident lawyer.
There are many reasons you or a loved one might choose to ride a bike over other forms of transportation. You may be making an environmentally conscientious choice, you might choose two wheels over four due to economic circumstances; you may just want to get some exercise. Whatever your reason, there are unfortunately still many motorists who don’t provide cyclists with the space they need, even when a bike lane is present or a crosswalk is in use.
Any negligence conducted by a motor vehicle operator that leads to a bike accident requires accident victims to utilize personal injury lawyers in order to successfully be compensated for their subsequent damages. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle-car crash due to someone else’s negligence, you shouldn’t have to shoulder the burden of your recovery.
A Long Island bicycle accident lawyer with Siler & Ingber, LLP will work hard to get you the complete compensation you deserve, and our past case results and testimonials are an indication towards our dedication to successful attorney-client relationships that have supported real people within bicycle injuries and all sorts of personal injury claims throughout New York City and all of New York State.
Contact us today for a free case review so we can better understand the circumstances pertaining to your serious injuries for general information purposes and begin putting you and your claim in the right direction towards financial recovery.
Causes of Bicycle-Car Accidents
Bicyclists are accustomed to sharing the road with much larger motor vehicles, which subsequently makes a bicycle rider more alert to the conditions of the road and traffic laws at all times. The lack of protections possessed by bicyclists when compared to motorists mean that a bicycle-car accident can be much more costly than a crash between two cars.
If you’ve been injured in a bike accident due to the negligence of a motor vehicle driver or any other party, you could be entitled to a settlement with the negligent party’s insurance company. Your Long Island bicycle accident attorney will conduct a thorough investigation into what caused your crash and who was responsible for it, including deciphering the ultimate cause of the bicycle injury. Some of the more common causes of these often devastating personal injury claims include the following:
- Drunk Driving – Drunk driving is a seriously reckless behavior that leads to many car accidents and endangers bicyclists, motorists, and every other person on the road.
- Distracted Driving – A distracted driver is any driver whose attention is not on the road. Behaviors that cause distraction may include texting, eating, arguing with passengers, changing the radio station, and much more. Although it’s difficult to prove that a motor vehicle driver was distracted at the time time of your bicycle accident, it’s our job as personal injury attorneys to gather the necessary evidence that proves distracted driving was apparent.
- Unsafe Road Conditions – Because bicycles lack the protections of cars, bicyclists are much more vulnerable to injuries caused by unsafe road conditions. If state and local governments have not maintained roads as they are legally required to, you could be entitled to a claim against the parties who are ultimately responsible for roadway upkeep.
- Driver Did Not See Cyclist – If a car does not yield the right-of-way to a bicyclist, makes a turn and does not see the bicyclist, drifts into the bike lane, or does anything similar and an accident results, you could qualify for a personal injury claim.
- Dooring – This occurs when a motorist opens his or her car door and obstructs the safe passage of a bicycle. New York Vehicle and Traffic Law 1214 prohibits motorists from opening car doors when this action disrupts the flow of traffic, and this cause of bicycle injuries is unfortunately very common in NYC, Brooklyn, Queens and even throughout Nassau County due to the overall prevalence of parking spots next to bike lanes.
Determining Fault in a Bike Wreck
Upon contacting a Long Island bicycle accident lawyer from our law firm, you and your attorney will review all the details of your personal injury case to determine who is at fault.
If you are injured by a driver in an accident, you may be entitled to receive compensation from that driver’s insurance company. In order to receive compensation for your personal injury claim, you must prove that the driver’s negligence caused your bicycle accident.
New York follows laws of comparative negligence. This means that your contribution to causing the crash will be translated into a percentage of fault, and that your compensation amount will then be reduced by that same percentage. It’s important to have a legal representative who will fight for your right to the comprehensive compensation that will hold a negligent driver or third party accountable.
The statute of limitations on personal injury cases in New York is three years from the date of the accident. It’s important not to wait too long before filing a claim, as lawsuits brought after the statute has expired will not be heard.
What’s My Bicycle Accident Claim Worth?
If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle accident and receive a settlement offer from the negligent driver’s insurance, that offer will likely only cover immediate bills and glaringly obvious losses. It’s likely that it won’t take into consideration your intangible damages such as pain and suffering and emotional distress, as well as less-obvious and future financial damages.
Your Long Island bicycle accident lawyer will take into account all the hardships imposed by your accident when determining a fair settlement amount. These may include both financial expenses and non-economic damages for your lost quality of life:
- Current and future medical bills
- Lost wages and reduced income-earning potential
- Physical and emotional therapy
- Renovations made to your home to accommodate a new disability
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
Contact a Long Island Bicycle-Car Accident Lawyer for a Free Case Evaluation
If another driver’s carelessness caused your bike accident, you shouldn’t bear the financial burden of your recovery. Siler & Ingber, LLP will help you hold the negligent driver accountable and get you all of the financial compensation that you’re owed.
Arrange a time for your free consultation with a Long Island bicycle accident lawyer today by calling 1-877-718-6079, or simply contact us by using the online form on this page.
The Law Office of Siler & Ingber, LLP
301 Mineola Blvd. Mineola, NY 11501
- BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF YOUR CASE
*All fields are required
Attorney Advertising – Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome – © 2017 The Law Office of Siler & Ingber, LLP | Sitemap
[fc id=’8′ type=’popup’ button_color=’#4488ee’ font_color=’white’]Schedule A Free Consultation[/fc]