Uber and Lyft have become a popular choice for people in New York. The convenience of riding in a comfortable car without the hassle of parking or navigating the crowd of a bus or subway is truly a boon for the city resident.
What do numbers say?
Available data suggests that Uber, Lyft, and other similar ridesharing services account for nearly 20 million trips in NYC alone. Hence, accidents involving them are also common. Statistics suggest that rideshare services like Uber and Lyft have led to a 3% increase in overall car accident fatalities. Nearly 1,000 daily car accident deaths are due to the increasing number of rideshare vehicles on the road. Uber/Lyft accident lawyers are witnessing a rapid increase in accidents involving ride sharing cars.
What are the causes of these accidents?
- Drunk/distracted driving
- Driving when tired due to excessive working hours
- Late night driving
- Rash driving
You can be an accident involving a ridesharing service either (1) as a rider or (2) the driver of the car/vehicle the ridesharing car collided with. In both cases, the fundamental principle is to identify the fault. Hence, the following should be considered:
- The person has the responsibility of reasonable care (all drivers have a duty to drive carefully and obey all traffic laws)
- The person who breached the responsibility of reasonable care (the other person didn’t drive carefully or didn’t obey a traffic law)
- You were injured and suffered damages as a result of the other person’s breach
What should you do after the accident?
Here are the steps you should follow:
- Call the police: The first step is to call the police to report the accident. The police should be informed even if there are grave injuries as a police report is mandatory to claim insurance.
- Seek medical attention: It is absolutely critical to immediately seek medical care to make sure that injuries get proper care and treatment. Even if you think the injury is minor, it is a good idea to just get it checked out. Sometimes, even minor pain/injuries can linger over a period of time. Importantly, safely keep all the receipts and other records of medical expenses to claim compensation/settlement at a later time.
- Take photos: If possible, take photos of the accident site as visual proof to what really went down at the scene of the accident. In case you cannot take photos yourself due to any reason, try and find a witness who is willing to do it for you. The photos can come in handy as a strong piece of evidence to prove negligence.
- Talk to a witness: If witnesses are present at the site of accident, talk to them and record (with their consent) their description of the accident. This can also become useful evidence.
- Report the accident: Once you have sought medical attention, report the accident to the ridesharing company as well as the concerned insurer. It will help them prepare for the next steps.
- Hire a Uber/Lyft accident lawyer: Since such accidents are becoming common every day, specialist lawyers such as Uber Accident Lawyer or Lyft Accident Lawyer are required to help you navigate the complexities of the law and get the compensation you deserve.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident involving Uber/Lyft, you need an Uber accident lawyer, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced Uber/Lyft accident lawyers. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.