Cabs/Taxis are the whole and soul of New York. Whether it is ridesharing apps such as Uber and Lyft or the old-school yellow cabs, they remain the go-to choice for people in New York. And, why not? A cab is definitely more convenient than the bus or the subway, and at the same time, it reduces the hassle of parking or navigating the traffic. However, accidents involving taxis are on the rise, as stated by car accident lawyers.
A report by The Taxi & Limousine Commission in 2020 shares that New York City taxis were involved in 819 injury crashes per month in 2019. While there has been a decline in from an average of 883 injury crashes per month in 2018, these numbers remain very high.
What should you do after the accident?
If you’ve been involved in a car accident involving a taxi as a rider or the driver of another car, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Call 911 and the police: The first step is to call 911 and report the accident. It is also important to call the police as a police report is mandatory to claim insurance. Moreover, keep the following information about the taxi driver on hand:
- The taxi cab driver’s name and date of birth
- Email address and phone number
- Driver’s License Number and Expiration Date
- Insurance Carrier
- Taxi’s model
- The license plate number of the taxi
- Vehicle Identification Number
- Year of manufacture of the taxi cab
The above information is important for claiming a personal injury lawsuit; hence, it is important to acquire this information. An auto accident lawyer can help.
- Seek medical care: The next most critical step is to seek medical care. Even if the injuries seem minor, make sure that injuries get proper care and treatment. Even if you think the injury is minor, it is a good idea to just get it checked out. Maintain records of all the receipts and medical expenses to claim compensation/settlement at a later time. A car accident lawyer can help.
- Collect evidence: Evidence in the form of photos, talking to witnesses, etc. can be very useful at the time of filing a personal injury claim. If you’re unable to do so, reach out to a lawyer or a friend/witness who can help.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident involving a taxi, you need an auto accident lawyer, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced car accident lawyers. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.