Car accidents in New York are an unfortunate reality. Reports from 2019 suggest that nearly 567 car accidents occur each day in New York. This amounts to more than 200,000 accidents every year, and subsequent injuries and fatalities. Most of the accidents are reported in Brooklyn (31.7%) followed by Queens (29%), Bronx (19.4%), Manhattan (15.5%), and Staten Island (4.2%). Moreover, one out of five accidents cause an injury. In 2019, 50 car accidents were fatal.
Car accidents can occur due to many reasons but there are a few common causes. Here are the top five causes as observed by top car accident attorneys.
- Distracted driving – texting while driving or talking on the phone are some of the most common reasons of distracted driving. They take the attention of the driver away from the road and that often leads to accidents.
- Drunk driving: Drunk driving leads to loss of reflex and control that causes accidents often lead to serious injuries to the victim and the driver as well
- Driving under influence of drugs: Like drunk driving, driving under the influence of drugs can be extremely risk and lead to accidents of varying degrees.
- Fatigue: A long day after work or late-night driving while tired is a leading cause of accidents as the driver is fatigued and may sleep on the wheel.
- Reckless driving: Driving too fast or missing stop signals can lead to serious accidents that can be fatal or cause severe injuries. Reckless driving also includes disregarding any rules of the road.
In a car accident due to the above-stated reason, the injured party is owed a compensation for the negligence caused by the at-fault driver. A car accident attorney can help. When valuing your claim, they will make sure that the compensation you receive covers all of the financial expenses incurred by the wreck and the damage done to your quality of life including current and future medical bills for medical treatment, car repair or replacement costs, physical or emotional therapy, lost wages and income, pain and suffering, emotional distress and disfigurement, lost enjoyment of life
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident due to someone’s negligence, you need the best car accident lawyer, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced car accident lawyers. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.