As we observe National Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month in May, here are some things that we would like to share with our readers. Data from New York suggests that:
- Even though only 2% registered vehicles in NYC are motorcycles, they account for 14% of traffic-related fatalities.
- More than half the fatalities (56%) are among those aged below 35 years.
- Nearly all fatalities are male riders.
- Importantly, nearly half (43%) motorcycle riders involved in a fatality were not properly licensed to ride a motorcycle.
The above statistics paint a grim picture about the state of motorcyclists in New York. It is important to encourage safety among riders to contribute towards fewer accidents and fatalities. Riders involved in motorcycle accidents can end up with serious and long-term injuries. Moreover, if the accident has been caused due to someone’s negligence, it is important to work with auto accident attorney as insurance companies are quick to pin the blame on motorcycle riders without offering the due compensation.
Some of the common causes of motorcycle accidents caused due to someone’s negligence are:
- Driver Following Too Closely – Following too closely is always an unsafe driving behavior. It becomes more dangerous when the car engaging in the tailgating outweighs the motorcycle by a significant measure, and the motorcyclist lacks the protections of a car.
- Driver Drunk or Distracted – Drunk driving is a seriously reckless behavior, and distracted driving can be just as dangerous. A distracted driver is any driver whose attention is not on the road, whether it’s instead focused on cell phone use, eating, applying makeup, or anything else.
- Driver Made an Improper Lane Change – Hundreds of accidents occur every year simply because the driver of another vehicle did not see a biker when turning left or changing lanes. Unfortunately, drivers often overlook motorcycles on the road.
- Dangerous Road Conditions – Because motorcyclists lack the protections provided by a four-wheel, enclosed vehicle, they are more susceptible to being affected by hazards on the road. Furthermore, their two-wheel design makes them susceptible to flipping or losing control when hitting potholes or uneven lanes.
To know more about motorcycle accident injury claims. Click here.
At the same time, if you’re a motorcycle rider, here are a few things you can do to ensure that you’re safe and do not pose danger for anyone else on the road.
- Avoid speeding regardless of the traffic condition
- Only ride if you have a license and you’re confident of riding your motorcycle in the hustle bustle of the city
- Do not ride your motorcycle in bad weather or low visibility
- Maintain your motorcycle well to ensure that it is safe for riding
If you or someone you know has been injured in a motorcycle accident due to someone’s negligence and you need the best injury attorney, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to sschedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.
The Impact Of Marijuana Legalization
Would New York legalizing recreational marijuana increase road accidents? We took a look at the stats in our latest study.View Study
The Law Office of Siler & Ingber, LLP
301 Mineola Blvd. Mineola, NY 11501
Subscribe to our NewsletterSubscribe
This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work!
Please upgrade today!