Biking is becoming a preferred mode of commuting for many New Yorkers, and why not? It is a good way to keep fit and an environment friendly choice. At the same time, there is also an increase in bicycle-related accidents, injuries, and fatalities. Data released in 2020 suggests that there were 3,835 crashes in New York City involving cyclists and motorists in which the cyclist was injured or killed. A bigger concern is the higher likelihood of the cyclist suffering serious injuries as compared to the motor vehicle driver who caused the crash primarily due to the physical vulnerabilities of a cyclist.
But what’s causing so many bicycle accidents? Here are some of the most common causes:
- Drunk Driving – Drunk driving is one of the most common causes of bicycle accidents. These drivers also endanger other motorists as well as pedestrians.
- Distracted Driving – Drivers distracted due to texting, eating, talking with passengers, etc., also cause serious accidents which can also include cyclists. While it is difficult to prove that a driver was distracted at the time of the bicycle accident, a personal injury attorney is well-equipped to gather the necessary evidence.
- Unsafe Road Conditions – Bicyclists are vulnerable to injuries caused by unsafe road conditions. If the roads are not maintained by the local governments, you could be entitled to a claim against those responsible for roadway maintenance.
- Driver Did Not See Cyclist – If a motor vehicle driver does not give the right-of-way to a bicyclist, makes a turn and does not see the bicyclist, or drifts into the bike lane, can result in an accident.
- Dooring – This occurs when a motorist opens his or her car door and obstructs the safe passage of a bicycle. New York Vehicle and Traffic Law 1214 prohibits motorists from opening car doors when this action disrupts the flow of traffic, and this cause of bicycle injuries.
If a bicyclist has been an injured due to any of the above reasons or more caused due to someone’s negligence, they can file a personal injury claim with the help of a top injury attorney. A personal injury lawyer will help file a settlement by taking into account all the hardships imposed on you due to the accident such as medical bills, lost wages, physical / emotional therapy, pain and suffering, lost enjoyment of life, or wrongful death. It is best to work with a personal injury attorney as the settlement received from the at-fault party’s insurance will be inadequate and only cover immediate medical bills. It is important that you get the compensation you deserve.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a bicycle accident due to someone’s negligence and you need the best personal injury attorney, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced personal injury lawyers. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.