Often after suffering an injury due to someone’s negligence, we hire a personal injury attorney to help us navigate through the complexities of the law and guide us on the best way forward and get the compensation we deserve for our sufferings.
But have you ever wondered how a lawyer arrives at the value of your claim? We are here to guide you on the process that a personal injury lawyer follows:
- Medical expenses – You ought to be compensated for your current and expected medical treatment. This may include covering medical devices, pain management therapies, physical therapy, and transportation to go to your doctor.
- Pain and suffering – Although intangible, pain and suffering is a part of all injuries. Your personal injury lawyer may arrive at this amount by calculating your actual economic loss and multiplying it by a preset number. That being said, all accidents vary in nature and the extent of damages, hence, it best to consult a personal injury attorney to help you out.
- Emotional distress – Various issues such as insomnia, depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder are common after injuries. Therefore, it is imperative that you’re compensated for them. Leave it to your lawyer to arrive at the compensation for you.
- Lost income – It could so happen that the injury you have sustained has compelled you to miss work. In such a scenario, you should be compensated for these lost wages. Importantly, if any injury that you have suffered is long-term or permanent, you should receive 100% of your lost income as compensation. Lastly, if the injury has reduced or hampered your capacity to work and earn the income you did before, then the compensation you deserve is the difference between your income before and after the injury.
In addition to the above, there are two more factors that may be considered while arriving at the value of your claim. They are as follows:
- Comparative negligence – This refers to a situation where the injured party is partially responsible for the accident in question. Hence, in this scenario, the damage claim may be reduced as per the extent to which you are responsible. For instance, if you were 40% responsible, then your claim amount will also reduce by 40%. It is very important to note that if the injured party is found to be 51% or more responsible, they will not receive any compensation.
- Insurance limits – Often, it is the at-fault party’s insurance company that covers the claim of your personal injury. However, insurers will only pay the amount that falls in the limit of the policy.
If you or someone you know has been injured due to someone’s negligence, you need the top injury attorney, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.
The Impact Of Marijuana Legalization
Would New York legalizing recreational marijuana increase road accidents? We took a look at the stats in our latest study.View Study
The Law Office of Siler & Ingber, LLP
301 Mineola Blvd. Mineola, NY 11501
Subscribe to our NewsletterSubscribe
This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work!
Please upgrade today!