As more people get vaccinated against COVID-19 and cities open up, the traffic will slowly come back on the roads. With businesses opening up and fewer restrictions, there is a potential risk or higher likelihood of accidents involving motor vehicles and pedestrians. At a time like this, as a pedestrian and a driver, it is best to be mindful and careful when you’re out and about.
Pedestrian accidents can cause severe and long-term injuries to the victim involved. These injuries can have life-altering consequences. They can also be fatal. However, options such as hiring a pedestrian car accident lawyer are available to you as an injured pedestrian or family of someone who lost their loved one due to an accident on the road while walking.
Here’s all you should know about pedestrian accidents in New York.
New York Pedestrian Traffic Laws
Here’s what you should know as a pedestrian in New York
- Drivers cannot pass vehicles at crosswalks so that pedestrians may cross.
- Drivers should be careful to avoid accidents with pedestrians.
- Drivers should allow pedestrians when the “walk” sign is flashing.
- Drivers should allow pedestrians when the “walk” sign changes to a flashing hand or other symbol.
New York also has laws which protect pedestrians, here they are:
- New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law – This is the state’s official vehicle and traffic laws. If a pedestrian is injured by someone who was driving who violates this law, they will often be found negligent in a civil suit.
- Elle’s Law: Any driver who violates any traffic rules and ends up injuring an individual gets their license suspended for six months. If they have another incident that violates Elle’s Law within a five-year period, their license is suspended for one year.
- Hayley and Diego’s Law – This law penalizes a motorist when they fail to exercise care in operating a vehicle and injure a pedestrian or bicyclist as a result. The first offense attracts either a $750 fine, or 15 days in jail, or undertaking a driving training course. On second offense, the driver is charged with a misdemeanour.
A pedestrian accident attorney will thoroughly review the situation and find the right violation and subsequent charges so that the injured pedestrian can get their fair due.
Know the deserved compensation
Getting the right compensation is paramount. Often, in a hurry to settle the matter, insurance companies of the “at-fault” driver will offer you a settlement, which will be far lower than what you actually deserve. Instead, focus on all the damages and calculate a fair compensation you should receive. Some of the factors to include while calculating the compensation should be your medical bills, transportation expenses, medicines, pain and suffering, emotional distress. Hire a pedestrian car accident lawyer today to help you recover the compensation you deserve from the at-fault driver and their insurance company via an accident case.
If you or someone you know has been injured as a pedestrian due to a driver’s negligence, you need the top personal injury attorneys, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.
The Impact Of Marijuana Legalization
Would New York legalizing recreational marijuana increase road accidents? We took a look at the stats in our latest study.View Study
The Law Office of Siler & Ingber, LLP
301 Mineola Blvd. Mineola, NY 11501
Subscribe to our NewsletterSubscribe
This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work!
Please upgrade today!