Children, with their playful spirits and unlimited energy, often get hurt while playing with their friends. Whether it’s a rough game of sports, a race, or just a slip and fall, a minor scrape or an injury is a part of everyone’s childhood and also important to build resilience among children.
What accounts for injury due to negligence among children?
Sadly, more than 6000 children die due to injuries each year. In a scenario where children are hurt and the situation could have been prevented with adequate care and supervision by an adult, it is recommended to recruit a child injury attorney. Here are some of the common scenarios when children get injured due to lack of supervision by an adult:
- Choking – While enjoying a meal with the family, at a restaurant, or at a birthday party, a child might choke. It is imperative that the adults present get medical help immediately and do the needful. Otherwise, the adult may be held responsible for causing such an injury.
- Animal bites – It may so happen that a child might attempt to pet a domesticated animal (dog/cat) and get injured if the animal bites, scratches, or injures them. It is the responsibility of the owner to ensure that they warn children to come near their pets or make sure that the pets don’t bite. A dog bite injury attorney may be hired if a child suffers injuries due to a dog’s bite.
- Drowning – A day by the pool or a picnic at the beach may prove risky for children if they don’t know how to swim. It is important that the parents/caregivers/adults are absolutely alert to make sure that the children don’t go near water or maintain a safe distance. If a child drowns, the adults present may be held responsible for their negligence.
- Lead poisoning – Toys are meant for children to have fun but they can very well become agents of severe injuries. Lead poisoning from toys is a serious threat and if a child suffers from it, the parents can hire a child injury attorney to sue the toy company for selling harmful toys to children. In such a scenario, the attorney will put forth a case to prove the negligence of the toy company and get the compensation the family deserves.
- Car/school bus accidents – A motor vehicle accident is one of the most common causes of personal injury in adults and children in the United States. If a child is hurt in a motor vehicle accident, the negligent party will be held accountable and charged accordingly.
- Child abuse – In extreme cases, parents/caregivers might deliberately cause injuries to their children. In such a case, social services and child injury attorneys work towards bringing children out of such situations and punishing the appropriate party strictly as per the laws of the state.
What does a child injury attorney do?
Firstly, a child injury attorney is a specialist in cases related to children. Their expertise allows them to view the cases with a lens of prevention and how the injury could have been avoided by the adult in the situation. Additionally, a child injury attorney will help you file a claim to cover all tangible and intangible costs, for example, medical expenses, loss of income to parents to care for the injured child, emotional distress caused to the parents and the child, etc.
If your children or someone you know has been injured due to someone’s negligence and you need a winning law firm, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced child injury attorneys. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.