Buses are one of the most efficient public transports in the United States. They make travelling simple and affordable for one and all. However, bus accidents have also become common as the use of buses has increased across cities. As per available statistics, there are about 63000 bus accidents each year injuring 14000 people and killing 325 people in the United States. Any kind of bus can get into an accident – private bus, school bus, local bus, or inter-state buses. Personal injury lawyers are hired in accidents caused due to someone’s negligence.
There are several causes of bus accidents. Some of the most common ones are:
- Driver fatigue – Bus drivers work long hours which leads to tiredness. This could lead to accidents.
- Congested urban areas – Manoeuvring buses in an urban crowded location can be challenging which may cause accidents.
- Construction on the road – Sometimes construction or other conditions on the road might lead to a bus accident as it may catch the bus driver off guard.
- Maintenance issues – Some unknown issues with the bus mechanics or inadequate maintenance may also make it vulnerable to an accident.
- Distracted driving – If the bus driver is distracted or drunk, it may lead to an accident due to their negligence.
A crash with a bus can cause life-threatening injuries to people traveling in the bus as well as those hit by the bus in the crash. These injuries can have a long-term impact on the victim’s health. The type of injuries will depend on the scale of the accident, however, no matter how minor, it is imperative to seek medical attention immediately in case you’re involved in a bus accident. More importantly, the chances of a major injury are higher in case of a bus accident due to the sheer size of this vehicle.
If you’ve been involved in a bus accident caused due to a bus driver’s negligence, you’re owed compensation from the at-fault party. However, it is a complicated process, especially as far as identifying the at-fault party is concerned. For example, if your crash involved a city or school bus, then it’s likely that a government entity will be at least partially at fault. This means that there will be additional steps to take when filing your personal injury claim and special time restrictions.
Hence, it is recommended you hire a personal injury attorney to help you navigate effectively through these complexities. Moreover, the personal injury lawyer will help you get the most compensation possible by factoring in all the future losses and non-economic damages in addition to your current medical expenses and financial damages.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a bus accident due to the driver’s negligence, you need the top injury lawyers, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.