Motor vehicle accidents, especially car accidents are common in the United States, and more so in New York. Every year, thousands of people are injured in these accidents, and many are fatal. Predictably, car accident injury claims led by car accident lawyers are also very frequent.
However, it is also important to note that car accident claims can be very complicated, especially to prove the negligence of the at-fault party. Any car accident attorney can tell you the complexities involved. But there are certain to-dos that can put you in a strong place for settling for the compensation you deserve.
- Maintain a record of your injuries: While keeping your medical bills is necessary, it is also important to document the day-to-day status of your injuries. This’ll help showcase the time it took you to recover and other subsequent losses because of that, for example, loss to income.
- Understand the type of damages: Physical injuries are not the only type of damages. Thoroughly review the other tangible and intangible losses, and record them. For example, the number of days you could not go to work, any activities you could not do ever since the accident, pain, and suffering, etc.
- Don’t feel pressured by the insurer: In many cases, the insurer of the at-fault party will try to pressure you into settling. Do not succumb. Hire an able car accident attorney to represent you.
- Maintain all documents: Anything can prove relevant, even an email from work related to your absence from work due to the accident, hence, keep all of it safely.
- Do not share any documents with the insurer: The at-fault party’s insurer might try to get their hands on the medical records and other documentation, do not share it with them before the case is taken up for settlement. Let the car accident lawyer handle all the documents for you.
- File a lawsuit as soon as possible: It is recommended to file a lawsuit with the help of a car accident attorney as early as possible after the accident. It is so because the claim can only be filed within a certain time limit, which is as per state law.
- Maintain photographic evidence: Nothing is more powerful than visuals. As far as possible, take relevant pictures of the accident site, for example, a photo showcasing the positions of the car, any property damage, etc. which can highlight the negligence of the at-fault driver. If you can’t take pictures, see if you can request a witness to do it for you.
- Do not rush: Be patient because these claims take time. Hire a good car accident attorney who will patiently and thoroughly review your case, and fight for a fair settlement.
If you or someone you know has been injured due to someone’s negligence, you need the car accident lawyer, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced car accident lawyers. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.
The Impact Of Marijuana Legalization
Would New York legalizing recreational marijuana increase road accidents? We took a look at the stats in our latest study.View Study
The Law Office of Siler & Ingber, LLP
301 Mineola Blvd. Mineola, NY 11501
Subscribe to our NewsletterSubscribe
This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work!
Please upgrade today!