An accident with a semi-truck can cause severe injuries and even be fatal. In case of an accident, it is usually the person in the smaller vehicle (car, motorcycle, bicycle, etc.) who are at a higher risk of sustaining injuries largely due to the large size of the truck.
A fully loaded commercial truck can weigh 80,000 pounds, which is more than sixteen times the weight of the average passenger car. When a large truck like that is involved in an accident, it can mean devastating consequences for the people in the smaller vehicle.
The numbers also paint a grim picture as far as semi-truck accidents are concerned. As per the Traffic Safety Statistical Repository of the New York Department of Motor Vehicles, there were 20,549 accidents involving large trucks in 2018. Among these accidents, 70 were fatal, 4202 involved injuries and the remaining caused property damage. This calls for a need to know the causes of semi-truck accidents.
Causes of Semi-Truck Accidents
- Driver fatigue–It is a known fact that truck drivers work very long hours. While there is a law on the number of hours, drivers continue to work longer hours that leaves them exhausted and tired. Unfortunately, this fatigue becomes one of the most common causes of collisions and accidents as the driver may fall asleep behind the wheel or lose focus while driving.
- Lack of training – Driving a semi-truck is different from driving any other vehicle primarily due to its large size. Navigating it on roads and highways needs good manoeuvring skills. Sometimes, lack of proper training due to a shortage of time or resources may lead to accidents.
- Speeding –Speeding or other errors by the driver have become a common cause of accidents involving semi-trucks. Often, due to speeding, a driver may fail to check blind spots before switching lanes or change lanes too suddenly in a confusion that can lead to collisions with other vehicles on the road.
- Driving under influence –It is well known that driving under influence of alcohol or drugs is illegal. Moreover, a semi-truck driver poses a higher danger to others while driving under influence because of the sheer size of the vehicle.
- Not securing cargo adequately –Semi-trucks are used to take products from one place to another. These products need to be properly packed and placed in the truck, especially ensuring that weight is distributed properly. If the products are not properly tied to the truck, they may fly off and come in the way of another vehicle, causing a serious accident.
- Lack of maintenance– It is the responsibility of the trucking company to ensure that the semi-trucks are properly maintained. Usually, companies fail to undertake adequate care as it is time and resource-intensive. However, this ends up becoming a reason for accidents.
Involved in a trucking accident?
One or more of the reasons stated above can lead to accidents. It can be difficult to know what to do after such a wreck. The experience can up-end everything—your finances, physical abilities, and emotional state alike. What’s worse is that trucking companies often have safeguards in place in the form of legal protections that can make it very challenging to get the settlement you’re owed from those at fault.
Speak with a trucking accident injury lawyer to understand and fight for the compensation you deserve which will go beyond the coverage of obvious damages offered by the trucking company as settlement. A trucking accident injury lawyer will work towards a settlement that will cover your long- and short-term costs related to physical, emotional, and financial damage.
If you or someone you know has been injured in an accident caused by a semi-truck and you need a winning law firm, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced trucking accident injury lawyers. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.