Bicycles have taken over as a preferred mode of transport for young and old alike. People now prefer to ditch their cars or the subway to use a bicycle to get to work/school, and at the same time get in some exercise.
However, riding bicycles has its risks attached. People become vulnerable to accidents which can leave them injured or can even be fatal. Data suggests that the United States sees approximately 45,000 bicycle accidents every year. As would be obvious, a crash between a bicycle and motor vehicle largely leaves the cyclist injured or harmed rather than the other way round. Personal injury lawyers are best placed to represent your case if you’ve been hurt while riding your bike due to someone’s negligence.
There are various causes of accidents between a bicycle and a motor vehicle. Some of the common ones are:
- Distracted driving: A distracted driver behind the wheel can pose a risk to cyclists on the road. While 30% of all bicycle accidents are caused by a car, a large number of these drivers are those who are distracted or drunk.
- Lack of knowledge about rules: Both, cyclists as well as drivers, are not fully aware of the rules to follow on the road. For example, who has the right of way at an intersection. In such a case, the cyclist may be prone to an accident.
- Inattentive rider: It is not just the motor vehicle driver; it may also be that the rider may be inattentive while cycling which can put them at risk of a crash and resultant injuries.
- Riding after dark: Like for motor vehicles, even riding a bike at night can increase the vulnerabilities to an accident due to poor visibility, etc.
- Construction on the road: Construction or road work may catch a rider off guard and lead to a collision. This can injure the rider quite badly.
Despite protective gear, a bicycle accident can leave you as the rider with serious long-term injuries. Moreover, you could end up in a crash due to someone else’s negligence. As an accident victim in the state of New York who’s been involved in a bicycle crash with a motor vehicle, you deserve to be compensated for your serious injuries by the at-fault driver and/or their insurance company.
We recommend you hire a personal injury attorney to best represent your interest. This is even more critical in such a case because New York follows laws of comparative negligence. This means that your contribution to causing the crash will be translated into a percentage of fault and that your compensation amount will then be reduced by that same percentage. It’s important to have a personal injury attorney who will fight for your right to the comprehensive compensation that will hold a negligent driver or third party accountable.
Your personal injury lawyer will take into account all the hardships imposed by your accident when determining a fair settlement amount. These may include both financial expenses and non-economic damages for your lost quality of life.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a bicycle accident due to the driver’s negligence, you need the top injury lawyers, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.