New York and all its boroughs are witnessing a rise in car accident cases. However, the trends vary for every borough. Let us have a look at what happens in Queens with respect to car accidents. As per data released in February 2020:
- A total of 5,515 car crashes were reported in Queens.
- As a result, there were 1,224 injuries. This also includes 42 cyclists and 237 pedestrians.
- Unfortunately, three pedestrians were killed in these accidents.
- Queens also has the highest average number of annual car accident-related injuries making it one of the most dangerous boroughs of New York.
- More than 15,000 people are treated for auto-related injuries in this borough annually.
- Importantly, an average of 93 deaths are reported from car accidents each year in Queens.
- In Queens, a high number of accidents are reported from Farmers Boulevard and Rockaway Boulevard, Brookville Boulevard and Rockaway Boulevard, 20th Avenue and Whitestone Expressway, and Horace Harding Expressway and Main Street.
- In terms of the accident report, some of the most dangerous highways, bridges, and tunnels in Queens include Interstate 495, Van Wyck Expressway, Cross Island Parkway, and Belt Parkway.
The common causes of accidents are:
- Distracted driving: this includes texting or talking on the phone will driving
- Speeding: often a common cause, it can lead to rear-end collisions
- Drunk driving: driving under influence of alcohol or drugs is a risk for the driver as well as other people on the road
- Other causes are reckless driving, hit and run, etc.
The statistics and the causes tell us one thing, that Queens can be a dangerous place for drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists. If you drive a car in Queens, it is pertinent that you drive keeping in mind all the laws and be alert on the road. An accident does not only harm the victim but the driver as well.
What to do if you’re in an accident in Queens?
If you are involved in an accident in Queens caused due to someone’s negligence, you deserve compensation. Hire a Queens car accident lawyer to help you through the process.
How can a Queens car accident lawyer help you?
By gathering relevant evidence through witnesses, photographs and other documentation such as medical bills, etc. the car accident attorney will help you arrive at a fair settlement. They’ll also ensure that the insurer of the at-fault driver doesn’t make you a low-ball offer. A car accident lawyer will make note of all your short- and long-term expenses as well as the pain and suffering caused.
If you or someone you know has been in a car accident in Queens or elsewhere in New York City, you need the best car accident lawyers in Queens, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced car accident attorneys. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.