New York and all its boroughs are witnessing a rise in car accident cases. However, the trends vary for every borough. Let us have a look at what happens in Manhattan with respect to car accidents. As per data released in February 2020:
- A total of 3,922 car crashes were reported in Manhattan.
- As a result, there were 655 injuries. This also includes 76 cyclists and 185 pedestrians.
- Unfortunately, four people died, of which, two were pedestrians. Overall, around 40 people die in car accidents each year in Manhattan.
- Every year, more than 4000 people go to the emergency room for injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident.
- As per this report, Manhattan and the Bronx have the highest death rate related to motor vehicle accidents.
- In Manhattan, a high number of accidents are reported from East 96th Street and Madison Avenue, 8th Avenue and West 42nd Street, 2nd Avenue and East 36th Street, 9th Avenue and West 42nd Street, and 3rd Avenue and East 59th Street.
- In terms of the accident report, some of the most dangerous highways, bridges, and tunnels in Manhattan include Franklin D. Roosevelt East River Drive, Henry Hudson Parkway, Harlem River Drive, and Triborough Bridge.
The common causes of accidents are:
- Distracted driving: this includes texting or talking on the phone will driving
- Speeding: often a common cause, it can lead to rear-end collisions
- Drunk driving: driving under influence of alcohol or drugs is a risk for the driver as well as other people on the road
- Other causes are reckless driving, hit and run, etc.
The statistics and the causes tell us one thing, that Manhattan can be a dangerous place for drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists. If you drive a car in Manhattan, it is pertinent that you drive keeping in mind all the laws and be alert on the road. An accident does not only harm the victim but the driver as well.
What to do if you’re in an accident in Manhattan?
If you are involved in an accident in Manhattan caused due to someone’s negligence, you deserve compensation. Hire a Manhattan car accident lawyer to help you through the process.
How can a Manhattan car accident lawyer help you?
By gathering relevant evidence through witnesses, photographs and other documentation such as medical bills, etc. the car accident attorney will help you arrive at a fair settlement. They’ll also ensure that the insurer of the at-fault driver doesn’t make you a low-ball offer. A car accident lawyer will make note of all your short- and long-term expenses as well as the pain and suffering caused.
If you or someone you know has been in a car accident in Manhattan or elsewhere in New York City, you need the best car accident lawyers in Manhattan, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced car accident attorneys. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.