It may come as a surprise to many, but statistics say that one in five accidents occur in a parking lot. The numbers paint a grim picture, wherein as per the National Safety Council, over 60,000 people are injured in parking lots every year. Unfortunately, these accidents can also be fatal as 500 people die per year in parking lot accidents.
Some of the common causes of parking lot accidents are:
- Drivers backing into each other: Primarily due to the lack of a full range of view, a collision while backing up is the most common cause of accidents in a parking lot.
- Cars pulling out of space: In a large and full parking lot, collisions can occur when a car is pulling out of its spot as the range of view is limited and neither driver is aware of the other car. However, it is the responsibility of the driver pulling out of the space to make sure that they have a way.
- Trying to take the same space: A lot of times with fewer spots and higher demand, two cars may collide while fighting for the same space.
- Pedestrian knockdown: It is likely that a pedestrian in the parking lot may be knocked down while walking towards their destination. This may occur if a driver is speeding or distracted.
But why do so many accidents occur in a parking lot? Here’s what we know:
- Traffic laws do not apply to parking lots making them a “safe” space from penalties due to any violations.
- Distracted driving is more common in parking lots as the driver is off the road and their attention is diverted towards
Hence, if you’ve been injured in a parking lot, you’re entitled to compensation. A capable and committed personal injury attorney can help you get the compensation you deserve. These cases are quite challenging to navigate in terms of proving negligence, therefore, working with a personal injury lawyer is highly recommended.
A top injury lawyer will make sure that all your costs as well as other peripheral losses, such as loss to income, deteriorated standard of living etc. are given in the settlement offered to you. Medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, property damage, etc. will be duly covered under the compensation suit filed by the personal injury attorney.
If you or someone you know has been injured as a pedestrian on a crosswalk due to a driver’s negligence, you need the top injury lawyers, contact Siler & Ingber today. Call us on 1-877-529-4343 or complete our online form on this page to schedule a case evaluation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys. Our consultation is free and we do not charge a fee unless we win your case.